During the summertime, tick bites and Lyme disease become significant risks for individuals that want to enjoy the outdoors. Thankfully, patients looking for nearby urgent care in West Long Branch, NJ can visit AFC Urgent Care for their tick bite and Lyme disease treatment, as well as same-day diagnosis.
The good news for patients is that Lyme disease is highly preventable with the following techniques:
- After any outdoor activities, regardless of where you are, always do a full-body check for checks. Make sure to double check your hair, head, neck, arms, legs, and any visible part of your body for ticks.
- Avoid heavily wooded areas when possible and take the necessary precautions when camping or hiking. Frequently do a tick check whenever you’re in wooded areas for prolonged periods of time.
- Wear protective clothing when camping or hiking. This includes lightweight pants, hats, and boots to prevent a potential tick bite.
- Always check your pets for ticks when they are outside, especially dogs. Ticks are more likely to attach to dogs since dogs are more active, outdoors, and have ample places to latch onto. There are specialty medications that you can give your pets to protect from ticks and Lyme.
- Double check any public health updates about tick populations and see if your town has an increased tick risk or outbreaks of Lyme.
In addition, there are some telltale signs of Lyme disease including:
- Bull’s Eye Pattern Rash
If you believe you could have Lyme disease from a recent tick bite, please contact AFC Urgent Care West Long Branch at 732-222-8000 for more information.